Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Panama!

Rowan's Panama is a cotton, linen, viscose blended fingering weight yarn with a lovely soft handle, beautiful drape and a subtle sheen. 

photo credit
I'd admired the yarn since we started carrying it last summer, but  never found the right project for it. That changed when the 2012 Spring/Summer Twist Collective came out last April, featuring Laresca , a simple tank with lace inserts on each side...suggesting Panama.


I swatched a few weeks ago and it was love at first stitch. I wasn't sure it was possible, but I loved it even more after I followed the designer's suggestion and gave my damp swatch a quick tumble in the dryer on low heat. Oh my. So soft. Such drape. It's knitting up beautifully!
my Laresca in progress (raveled here)
Recognizing that a sleeveless tank - even one as pretty as this - isn't for everyone, we started talking about what else we could knit with it...the excitement spread...Theresa restocked all 14 colors...and now it's official. We have a new yarn crush!
Panama, currently located near the back end of the Rowan Wall
And in case you need project inspiration, here are a few suggestions to get you excited too!

First up, Traveling Woman . You'll need three balls to knit the medium fingering weight size (18" depth and 58" wingspan).
photo credit
If a shawl isn't your thing, how about Meadlowlark , a lacy vest with clever seamless construction. Diane is knitting this now and it's lovely. You'll need four balls to knit the medium or large sizes.
Meadowlark Vest - Front

For sweaters, Amiga , a free pattern from Knitty is a perfect match for the yarn. Or Vitamin D , modified to have short or cap sleeves (like this one on Ravelry).

...and saving my best for last (yes, I know, I already have a project on the needles with this yarn)  how about Cecily Glowak MacDonald's Twist Pullover , the cover design from the latest knit.wear Spring 2012.

Perhaps in Begonia?
that's Begonia upper right, then Mizzle (314), Lotus (309) and Orchid (304)


No comments:

Post a Comment