Sunday, July 4, 2010

Testing the New Lana Grossa Needles.

Did you know we are now carrying the Lana Grossa wooden "design lumber" needles in the shop? Yes, we have double-points and circulars in the full range of sizes* and even crochet hooks.

Here's what the Lana Grossa website says about the circular needles:
  • Unique durability thanks to a special compression process of layered wood. The durability beats the precious woods such as rosewood and is beyond comparison with any other wooden needle.
  • Attractive colour combination through the separate tints of the various layers of wood.
  • Light, but at the same time extremely robust and resilient.
  • Easy to handle and the flush surface of the wood means you can knit for hours and your hands are pleasantly warm.
  • Slim, tapered tips.
  • Black, extremely flexible wire with a smooth transition to the needle which lets the stitches slip easily.
Sounds great, doesn't it? maybe too good to be true?

I've been testing these needles while knitting the Annis shawl. With 363 stitches per row and about 100 nupps and more yarn overs, I figured it was a perfect project to try. And I am happy to report - these needles are wonderful.

My three favorite things:
First, those "slim, tapered tips" are truly super-pointy. I didn't have any problems with the nupps (that photo to the left shows the 5 wraps of one nupp getting purled together). I cast on those 363 stitches with my addi lace size 9 needles and on the first lace row, where I knit the stitches with the lana grossa size 7 needle, I could really tell the difference in points. The addi lace seemed blunt in comparison.

Second, the cable is really flexible and the join is smooth. The cable isn't fighting me at all - it's settled into a nice circle. And my stitches are sliding easily without catching.

Third, they're pretty. I love the colors in the wood. And I think those colors provide just enough contrast to show up the yarn. Granted, I'm not knitting black or navy, but I don't think it's hard to see the stitches at all.

In short, I'm recommending these needles!

*note that the sizing is metric; the needles come in whole and half mm sizes only. So the US 1 (2.25 mm), US 3 (3.25 mm) and US 5 (3.75 mm) aren't available. Sadly. Because I would love to try knitting socks with their dpns.

2 comments:

  1. will have to check these out-thanks for the product review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. updated comment-i LOVE these needles. am using size 6 (80 cm long) for my current traveling woman shawl. the tips are great and the needles themselves are a delight to use. it would be great to have these in the smaller needle sizes.

    ReplyDelete