Friday, September 23, 2011

Creature Comforts Cardi.

aka our latest "project crush". And oh my, I'm onto something new here - I just googled "project crush" so I could link in a definition and got nothing useful back! In short, this is a project that we fall in love with, often at first sight, and will daydream about, and then do all sorts of crazy things - like setting aside holiday knitting?! - to cast-on.

In any event - this is it, the Creature Comforts Cardi. A madelinetosh pattern that is available in the shop or online.

It seems like we might be in a new phase of crushing on projects - our Nantucket Vest KAL being the first - that are part accessory, part garment, fun to knit and flattering on many different shapes and sizes. I hope it continues. Because even if it's not an official KAL, we all know it's more fun to knit along!

click the photo to see it bigger!
(and then click your brower's back button to return to this post)
First up - yarn suggestions.  The pattern suggests madelinetosh vintage, a worsted weight, washable merino. It's a lovely yarn and we have project quantities in oodles of colors (and another shipment on the way). Vintage suggests a gauge of 18-20 st/4 in and the project requires 18. Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted is a great match. It's also a worsted weight washable wool in very pretty colors, with similar yardage. Thinking a bit outside the box, we also have two Cascade worsted merino/alpaca blends - Eco Duo (70% alpaca/30% merino) and Eco Cloud (70% merino/30% alpaca) that suggest 18 st/4in. These yarns come in gorgeous neutral/natural colorways - the Duo are blends of two colors and the Cloud are heathered - that would show off the stunning cable panel on the back and work up into that "throw on anytime/go with anything" cardi. The alpaca blend seems like it would lend a nice drape to the project, as long as you take into account that it might grow.

I've chosen Eco Cloud for my project. I swatched today (and wet-blocked my swatch :-) and am pleasantly surprised to be on stitch gauge with the recommended size 9 needle - I can't remember the last time I knit a sweater on size 9 needles! My row gauge is 1/4 row off - I'm getting 5-3/4 rows/in and the pattern requires 6. I don't think this is going to be an issue. I'm moving forward with the size 9's!
...knitting with the Eco Cloud is like a dream - soft, flexible...and fast!
We've chatted a bit in the shop about pattern modifications...I'll post about those next week.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, or want to join in, please leave a comment here or in our Ravelry group. I've started a new thread for this project.

1 comment:

  1. this is lovely, won't be joining YET, but can't wait to see how this develops.

    ReplyDelete