Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fingerless Mitts Love. and a Class.

We are a bit obsessed with fingerless mitts, and not just because we're knitting them for our current KAL! They also are relatively quick, make great gifts, and add a pretty and practical touch to a fall or winter outfit.

I've made cabled, lacy mitts for gifts, and last year, knit a plain pair for myself; but this year, I wanted to treat myself to "pretty" - cables, lace and gorgeous yarn. I found the perfect pattern in Abbie Tilden's October Mitts - knit in fingering weight (8 st/in) yarn, with tiny cables twisting up the sides (and they even twist in opposite directions on the two mitts - what a nice detail!) and two beautiful lace leaves framing the thumb gusset. I used Spud & Chloe Fine, a blend of washable wool and silk and had plenty in one skein to make the pair. I love how the silk looks in the finished mitts - I have my "pretty" for sure.

The elements I love about these mitts - cabling without a cable needle, charted lace, fitted thumb gusset, fingering weight and size 1 double pointed needles - are also ones I love to teach, and I'm so excited to be able to offer a class. If you'd like to learn these techniques and knit these beautiful mitts, please call the shop to sign up!

The class will run four hours, spread over two Saturdays - November 6 and November 13, from 1-3pm. The cost is $30 (plus the materials and pattern that you should purchase ahead of time). You should have some familiarity with knitting in the round, increases and decreases, ribbing and cables. And if you prefer to knit in the round with magic loop, or two circular needles, I won't make you use double pointed needles :-)

If you have any questions, please leave a comment here, or message me on Ravelry (my Ravelry name is "mere")

2 comments: