Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Mirror Image.

A few tips if you're knitting the Springtime Bandit along with us.

First, the pattern only includes the chart for the right-hand side of the shawl. It says to knit the left-hand side reading the chart from left to right to create a "mirror image".  If you do this, you'll need to swap the left leaning and right leaning decreases (i.e., if the chart has a K2tog, substitute an SSK or SKP and vice versa). I found that I could actually just read the chart from right to left for both sides - and didn't have to think about swapping.  Here's a close up shot of my finished shawl showing that "mirror image" (more details on my ravelry page, here).

Second, the shawl needs a very loose bind-off if you wanto to block it into points. There's a tutorial here for one I like - I use it for all my lace bind-offs (usually the "through the back loops" version). If you have another favorite, please let us know!

5-24-10 - edited to respond to the comment about using a larger needle for the bind-off. Personally, I don't like to use a larger needle - I like those bound-off stituches to be the same size as the rest of the shawl. But I do keep the tension loose. If you're a tight knitter, using a larger needle might be a very good idea!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely!

    I use the same or a very similar cast off for my shawls and think it's wonderful.

    Now if I only could finish one (or more) of my projects I'd probably go for that shawl. I'll add it to my cue on Ravelry.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, that really did block very nicely! I'm going to give mine some attention this afternoon (and hopefully stay on track with it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. very helpful, would using a larger needle help with a looser cast-off?

    ReplyDelete