Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Knitting through the Heichi Book.

That huge shipment of Shibui that arrived last week included all the colors of Heichi, a worsted weight 100% silk. I have been smitten with the yarn since I bought the heichi book last month, because I want to knit every single project shown in the book!

I've already started the first piece, Ripple - a textured stole, using Sidewalk and I picked out Caffeine to knit the cabled vest on the cover, called Shadow. Yesterday, Marci helped me pick out the colors for the rest of the garments (I'm showing a bit of restraint - I won't be choosing colors for the hat and the pocketbook until I finish a few of the other pieces!)

I had originally envisioned a very neutral palette with a pop of green. I kept to that plan for Echo, a cardigan knit with two colors (one color per side; it's joined down the back). This is Tar and Steel, the colors shown in the book (I almost never do that, but really, those colors look so great together). 

But for the tunic and the shell, Marci convinced me that colors really would work. So I'm getting outside my neutral comfort zone with Chestnut, a rich red-brown, for the Element tunic.

and Graffiti, a deep purple, for the Trace shell.  I stuck with that pop of green - Lichen - for the Reflection short-sleeved top.  The colors really do go well together...and (most important!) the pieces will work great with jeans and black.

Now I can't wait to get started with the knitting!

2 comments:

  1. looks like some great ideas for spring and summer knitting.

    ReplyDelete