Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Getting Ready for the Clapotis.

We're hearing lots of interest in our next KAL, the Clapotis - the more the merrier...and the more good input we'll have to help everyone be successful. Remember we're casting on this Friday at 2pm at the shop - this is a suggested start time... please feel free to start sooner and/or join us virtually!

Hopefully by now you've selected your yarn (if not, check out this post for suggestions, or come by the shop and we'll be happy to help!) and given some thought to which size needle works best.

You might've visited Knitty to print out the pattern. But no worries if you haven't! When I knit my second Clapotis, I didn't even use the pattern. Instead, I used the fabulous "ClapotisStitchNumbersFinal" spreadsheet linked in the How do you pronounce CLAPOTIS? group forum on Ravelry:

click the image to link directly to the forum on Ravelry (note that you need to be logged into Ravelry for this to work!) then click the name of the spreadsheet to download it
 This spreadsheet includes row by row, section by section instructions and stitch counts. I cannot recommend it highly enough! Here's a snapshot of the first bit of the spreadsheet to give you an idea:


One thing about the spreadsheet is that it's just words and numbers. The actual pattern has a schematic...you know a picture is worth a thousand words! This shows the finished dimensions (21 inches wide and 55 inches long) and illustrates the unique construction - it's knit from the lower left corner to the upper right corner, making a parallogram. wow!

from the Knitty pattern page

Ok, so you have yarn, needles and the pattern. Now what? You swatch!

Wendy found a great blog post that describes a way to swatch so you can try out the dropped stitches and make sure you like the drape of your fabric. The post also talks about resizing and/or using all your yarn.  If you're thinking about using yarn other than worsted weight and/or making a different size, I highly recommend reading it...and swatching!

The past two times I knit this, I followed the pattern and twisted the stitches on the knit side only, twisting in the same direction by knitting through the back loop. I didn't have any issue with the results. But when I swatched for this project (following the great blog post's instructions), I tried out the mirrored twist. See what you think.

swatched per instructions, starting mirror twists mid-way - Spud & Chloe Fine (colorway 7802 - clementine), on a size 5 needle
Me, I think I like it (please note that I used the mirror twist on the left side of the dropped stitch - like column 2 in her example).

I have two balls of the Spud & Chloe Fine, approx 490 yards. I am planning a scarf-sized Clapotis - narrower and longer than the pattern schematic. I'm sure I have enough yarn to do this, but I'm going to get into the pattern and work a few of the increase sections before I decide what modifications (if any) I'll make.

Questions?

3 comments:

  1. Jumping in with a big Yes Yes Yes! about the spreadsheet. It worked well for me, but YMMV. I did mine in a stole size, using Lorna's Laces worsted, in Zombie BBQ. It's a fun wrap.

    If I do this again, I'll try doing the mirrored twists. The one-sided twist didn't look quite right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to our readers (like me!) who don't know what YMMV means...a quick google search shows "your mileage may vary" - thanks, Michelle for the input!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this! I have been looking for the spreadsheet and am excited to get started!

    ReplyDelete